(PresidentialInsider.com)- Prince Philip, the 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth II, was hospitalized on Tuesday night as a “precautionary” measure. Buckingham Palace confirmed that he traveled to the hospital by car, not by ambulance, and that his admission was not related to the COVID-19 virus.
Prince Philip, who is officially known as the Duke of Edinburgh, walked into London’s King Edward VII Hospital without an aid, after reportedly feeling unwell.
“The Duke’s admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’s doctor, after feeling unwell,” Buckingham Palace said in an official statement.
“The Duke is in good spirits,” a royal source told the British newspapers. “The doctor made the decision with an abundance of caution to send him to hospital for rest and observation.”
The Sun newspaper reported that another source said, “It is precautionary but you can’t take any chances when you are 99-years old.”
Buckingham Palace didn’t confirm whether his illness was related to any pre-existing conditions, or other problems the Duke has been admitted to hospital for in recent years. Notably, the Duke of Edinburgh has suffered bladder infections and a blocked artery in recent years, and also underwent abdominal surgery.
While the vast majority of the United Kingdom supports the British Crown, a republican anti-monarchy group caused controversy by releasing a video titled, “It’s Time,” on the day he was sent to the hospital.
The group, known as “Republic Campaign,” published a video on its YouTube page that displayed images of Prince Andrew, Prince Charles, and Queen Elizabeth II. It called on Brits to join their movement to get rid of the royal family.
Prince Philip was previously admitted to the King Edward VII hospital in 2019 for four nights before Christmas. The hospital has long been used by the British Royal Family, with Her Majesty the Queen previously undergoing surgery on her knee in the hospital. The Queen also had a non-cancerous growth removed from her face in 2003 at a clinic within the hospital.
The Duke of Edinburgh will turn 100 years old on June 10. He retired from his official duties in 2017.