Man Arrested For Threatening Violence at Biden Inauguration

(PresidentialInsider)- The Department of Justice announced a man from the Chicago area was arrested this week following threats he made to kill some Democrats at the upcoming inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden.

The man, 45-year-old Louis Capriotti, has been accused of calling and leaving a voicemail for a member of the House of Representatives from New Jersey back on December 29. In the voicemail, he said if people “think that Joe Biden is going to put his hand on the Bible and walk into that f****ng White House on January 20, they’re sadly f****ng mistaken,” the criminal complaint says.

According to the complaint that was filed in U.S. District Court, Capriotti allegedly said on the voicemail:

“[W]e will surround the mother****ng White House and we will kill any mother****ng Democrat that steps on the mother****ng lawn.”

Capriotti could be sentenced to up to five years in prison if he’s convicted. The Justice Department said he’s being charged with transmitting a threat in interstate commerce.

According to the DOJ complaint, Capriotti, who lives in Chicago Heights, Illinois, recorded “disturbing, anonymous” voicemails for various Congress members on multiple occasions since October of 2019.

The voicemail that Capriotti allegedly left on December 29, he also threatened violent attacks on a former governor of New Jersey. The complaint reads:

“[Capriotti’s] messages, in almost every instance, included profanity, along with derogatory remarks concerning the race, religion, political affiliation or physical appearance of certain Members and others.”

Capriotti’s arrest this week came in the wake of the riot at the U.S. Capitol building last Wednesday. Since then, efforts to punish those who were involved in the insurrection and also those who have threatened violence before or after it for political reasons.

Many people are worried about the security at the January 20 inauguration. On Wednesday, Robert Contee, the police chief of Washington, D.C., said there will be more than 20,000 members of the National Guard in the city to help secure the inauguration.

The US Secret Service officially took the lead on security for the inauguration, after warnings of new threats in locations all across the country have begun to unfold. Currently, there are more US troops present on Capitol Hill than there are in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

Security officials have begun to expand the physical barriers around the Capitol and some other key buildings in the city. For blocks around the Capitol building, there are steel barriers and other road blocks. Similar setups are being installed around the White House and around the National Naval Observatory, where Vice President Mike Pence lives.

Officials with the Department of Homeland Security are also considering raising the national terror threat level in advance of next week’s inauguration. It is under consideration after information has been sent about an attack by “armed militias” that could happen in parts of D.C. on January 20.

DHS officials haven’t formally commented on whether they will raise the terror threat level, or other steps they are taking to protect security in the city and beyond.